Thursday, February 07, 2008

Climate Change

In a day.  Yesterday was snowing and blustery.  Today was sunny and warmish.  Go figure.

We were back at the track tonight for the third week of the speed build.  Tonight was a one 400 (for some fast warm up) and then four 200s, all out.  I haven't sprinted like that since I beat a student in a barefoot race on a soccer field about 4 years ago.  We had full rest, so each one was to be as fast as we could go.  I felt like I was back at Centennial Stadium in Oshawa, chasing Jason Brumley around the track (man, was he fast!  I should Facebook him...)

Anyway, I ended up holding about 26s for each of the four 200s.  I felt good and fast, falling back into the ol' sprinting form surprisingly easily.  I am glad that I still retain some speed from the early days, but I would like to be able to translate that into the longer distances (10k and such).

Talked to Coach John about Sunday as well.  He thinks I should go out in 3:25/km and see how it goes.  That would put me WAY under my PB of 1:15:40ish, but I am thinking a more conservative 3:30 to start and see how it goes.  Of course, much depends on the weather, but it was supposed to be 8 degrees with light rain - which is actually very good running weather as long as the ground is not slippery.  It will be an interesting day as I am feeling relatively fit, but I am not sure about 1:12 fit.

Here's to a mini-taper! (Day off tomorrow and light run on Saturday)

2 comments:

Michael said...

Good luck with the race, don't sell yourself short. Remember Cedar last year, you can do better, why not start at 3:25s... you might surprise yourself!

All the best!

Unknown said...

The funny thing is that I know I will go out in 3:20 because of the all the fast people there, but then I have to settle in. If I feel good at 3:25, I wont slow down just because of the watch, but I don't want to explode at 17k either. It will be an interesting day!