Thursday, February 14, 2008

Nothing like a little track to kick out the doldrums

Did I just write doldrums?  Wow.  I am old.

Some 300s tonight with Jay and Paul.  Apparently when Jay and Paul finished the half marathon on Sunday, Paul looked around and looked to Jay and said, "Wasn't Brad with us?"  I had a good laugh about that one.

Perspective is setting in on that race and I am pleased with the fact that, as Yoda said, I raced, I didn't pace.  There is a difference between going out and laying it out on the line and going out and being safe, hitting the predetermined pace times, but not ever knowing if you could have gone faster.  One is heart and one is head.  I raced with the heart, but there is most definitely a time and place for the head.  I am going to be smart this weekend with the snowshoe race, especially after being reminded about how big and steep the hills are at Grouse.

So, the workout was 1 x 400 (warm up), and 4 x 300 all out with 500m slow jog recovery.  I went 66 for the warm up 400 and then 43, 43, 42, 42 for the 300s.  It felt good, especially later in the workout.

Paul mentioned a half-marathon on April 1 that is really good.  He is going and it has a strong downhill component to it.  It is also in a beautiful part of BC - Gibsons.  I am very much considering that as it is three weeks out from Boston, which would be good timing and it would allow me to get used to the downhill aspect of Boston.  As well, it is another shot at a solid half-marathon while I am fit.  More to come on that front.



 

No comments: