Saturday, February 09, 2008

Time to Play

The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else.  The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self. - Whitney Young, Civil Rights Activist

I am truly blessed to have friends who inspire me.  Some are professional athletes, some are world champions, some are occupational therapists, some are teachers, some are students, and some are coaches (ed note: this is not an exhaustive list, I just can't list everyone occupation).  The point is that I have been fortunate to come into contact with people that are amazing, and doing incredible things.  

In this clip below (which I watched on Simon's blog), he speaks about the difference in his attitude toward his Olympic races in 2000 and 2004.  Listening to his talk this morning really reminded me of the feeling I get when I am just out running in the trails.  I have not completely lost this feeling, but with the wearing winter and the track workouts and the splits I am supposed to hit, somewhere inside me the kid is fading.  



So, Simon (who I am lucky to call a friend) has reset my mindset for the race tomorrow.  It isn't an Olympic race, but the mindset will be the same.   Go out and play.  Enjoy the movement of running.  And, as cliched as it is, have fun.  The time will come.



No comments: